Issues with DataFormWebPart in SharePoint Designer
I had to add DataFormWebPart in SharePoint Designer and had lot of struggling with this simple task. Here are some points I found out. Complete step by step manual is in attached file. How to add DataFormWebPart to the page in Sharepoint Designer 2010.docx (1,6 MB)
Ispired by: https://www.sharepointkings.com/2008/08/issues-with-data-view-webpart.html (code part)
Not able to see design mode – master page error
In some cases, after clicking on Split tab you can get master page error and even if you are in web part zone with cursor, Data View button is still disabled After page save button is still disabled.
- Create and setup DataFormWebPart in different page with correct master page or without master page (see chapter Create DataFormWebPart on page without master page). Copy generated code with registrations to your page with master page error. Even if view is not visible in Sharepoint Designer, it should work on Sharepoint.
DataView button is not enabled
- Check if you are with cursor in web part zone (between
- If it doesn’t help, save the page.
- If it doesn’t help, create web part in empty page and copy code to your page afterwards (see chapter Create DataFormWebPart on page without master page).
DataView Web Part or XsltView web part is added instead of DataForm web part.
- This can happen if you have clicked in wrong place selecting fields or have moved fields to the wrong place in document. DataFormWebPart is empty then and new XsltListViewWebPart is added. Remove it and try again.
AddColumn and Filter buttons are not enabled
- You have to have at least column in DataView dropped from Data Source Details window.
Not able to add columns by Drag & Drop
- This can happen if you have clicked in wrong place when selecting fields or have moved fields to the wrong place in document. Remove web part and try again.
Data Source Details ‘Insert selected Field as..’ dropdown is disabled
- This dropdown is enabled only until some fields are moved to view. If you want to change item in dropdown, remove web part and re-create it. Use dropdown after data source selection.
DataSource dropdown does not contain some options to select.
- I cannot reproduce it now, but it may happen. Strange.